This is my prediction for Tuesday’s election — the Republican Party will lose control of the White House and lose more seats in Congress. Why? Because they abused their power at the expense of the common good and Americans are furious about the outcomes:
1) Failure to protect the United States from the terroristic acts of Sept. 11, 2001.
2) Failure to capture and bring to justice the primary suspect behind those terroristic acts, Osama Bin Laden.
3) Passage of the U.S. Patriot Act I and U.S. Patriot Act II, stripping several of our civil rights including the right to privacy and right to a fair trial.
4) Invading two sovereign nations, Afghanistan and Iraq, allegedly in response to 9-11, at the costs of hundreds of billions of dollars, hundreds of thousands of lives, and much good will from our allies.
5) Violating the Geneva Convention and basic tenants of democracy by detaining and torturing thousands of Muslim people at Guantanamo Bay and secret prisons around the world.
6) Wasting precious federal and state education funds on the mandatory testing and rating systems of No Child Left Behind, a program that does little to educate or prepare the next generation of Americans and much to line the pockets of Kaplan, NCS and other standardized testing purveyors.
7) Stripping federal regulatory agencies of staff and money, replacing their leadership with corporate goons hired from the very companies they now are now supposed to be monitoring and holding accountable.
8) Advocating for energy technologies of yesterday rather than moving us toward a clean, renewable energy future, leaving our nation sorely unprepared for this century’s predicted depletion of legacy resources and doing little to reduce our nation’s “carbon footprint.”
9) Consistently spending more than we have and increasing our national debt to $10.5 trillion, nearly doubling the amount owed in September 2000.
10) Allowing the $62 trillion worldwide credit swaps market to go unregulated saying the “experts” running it knew what they were doing, using $325 billion in public money to prop up a select few failing companies, and authorizing another $700 billion for the U.S. Treasury to use in preventing a complete economic collapse. Total expected cost? $1.025 trillion.
These are just a few of the reasons why Americans are mad at the Republican Party, and they will lose on Tuesday. Of course, to make sure that happens, be sure to get out and vote. You can find out when and where here.